Orange-County Courant

Forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit

Friday, August 12, 2005

BREAKING NEWS: PROP 77 BACK ON BALLOT!

Dear Sir or Madame,

The Governor's Office is breathing a sigh of relief about this I'm sure. I tip my bonnet to Bill Mundell for continuing the fight. After the Superior and Appellate Court rulings, I didn't think he'd win this one.

Here's the link the Register's story: Supreme Court allows redistricting initiative on November ballot

I will say, though, I heard it first alongside OC Blog from 640 KFI news. John & Ken are talking about it right now, but I think they're wrong in suggesting that the whole reason for the special election this Fall is the redistricting initiative. The failure of redistricting reform to qualify for the ballot shouldn't have resulted in a cancellation. Paycheck Protection (Prop 75) is tremendously important. The fact that former Governor Davis and Fabian Nunez and other Dems support redistricting gives me pause. I believe they're hoping redistricting will allow them to pick up House seats for their side of the aisle here in California.

UPDATE: For all my social conservative friends, I apologize. I didn't mean to exclude parental notification (Prop 73) from those initiatives that I believe are important. That one is important. It's important because it's a reassurtion of parental rights which have been all but obliterated over the years by NARAL, Planned Parenthood, the CTA, and the Democrat Party. And, hopefully it will preserve some unborn lives.

Yours in liberty,

SILENCE DOGOOD OC

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I assume you have never dealt with legislative politics before (with a statement like that). The Democrats are pretty much maxed out (realistically speaking) in terms of the seats they can pick up in California. I recommend you look at how the districts are gerrymandered and look at the voter reg in these districts.

Saturday, August 13, 2005 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger Silence Dogood said...

Anonymous-

You're right. I'm not a staffer or a professional. I'm just an observer. But I know people. People generally don't support something, like a state constitutional amendment, unless they feel they stand to gain from it. That's simple common sense.

What do Gray Davis and Fabian Nunez and Nancy Pelosi feel they're going to gain out of redistricting reform? Why are they either supportive or ambivalent about redistricting?

Saturday, August 13, 2005 11:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home